Veg Sandwich is the best breakfast on any given day. Not only for breakfast, but anytime of the day, I should say. This home style version is super easy and kids would love it. It does not have much fuss and takes very less time. This is an ideal recipe for fussy eater.
It includes lot of vegetables, so if you run short of time in the morning, it is best to chop all the vegetables (except onions) the previous night. This would save the 10 minute preparation time. The toasted bread slices gives a aromatic flavor. Personally I prefer using ghee to toast the bread slices. But here I have used table butter.
As I am seriously concerned about health, I always use whole wheat bread. You can even use sandwich bread. Though I recommend using only wheat bread.
Simply Amazing Home Style Veg Sandwich
Prep Time 10 min
Cook Time 10 min
Bread slices 1 loaf (whole wheat)
Butter 1 tbsp
Oil 2 tsp
For the veg sandwich stuffing
Finely chop the following
- Ginger 1 inch
- Onions 2 nos. (medium sized)
- Carrots 2 nos.
- Green chilies 1 no.
- Tomatoes 2 nos. (medium sized)
Garlic crushed and finely chopped 3 pods
Capsicum 1 no. (chopped as julienne)
Bell peppers 1 no. (1 in each colour) (chopped as julienne)
Sugar 1/2 tsp
Spring onion greens (finely chopped) (optional)
Coriander leaves, finely chopped
Lettuce leaves 1/2 cup (chopped)
Cucumber slices of 1 cucumber
Milk 1 cup (150 ml)
Corn flour 1 tbsp
Freshly crushed pepper 1 tsp
1. Heat oil in a skillet, add garlic, ginger and onion. Saute by adding a little salt
2. When the onions turn transluecent, add the veggies (except lettuce, spring onion and coriander leaves). Cook in medium flame.
3. Add sugar. It will make the veggies look glossy. Keep sauteeing it. As the bottom of the pan may start to burn. Add more oil if required.
4. Saute till the vegetables are half cooked but still crisp. This would roughly take about 5 mins.
5. Add salt as required and the freshly crushed pepper. Saute for a few seconds.
6. In a bowl, add the corn flour and milk. Stir well so there are no lumps.
7. Pour this mixture to the cook veggies. Mix well. The milk would become thick and give the vegetables a perfect consistency for a filling. If you think it needs more milk, add 1 or 2 tbsp more.
8. The mixture would look like a spread.
9. Add the spring onion greens and coriander leaves.
For the sandwich
1. Spread butter to two bread slices, on both sides. Heat a pan, toast the slices in medium flame.
2. Take an elaborate spoon of the filling, spread it on the toasted bread.
3. Add the chopped lettuce, 2-3 cucumber slices. Close it with another toasted bread slice.
4. Press gently and slice it into two halves.
Serve hot with some fresh cucumber and carrot slices
#1 You could add any vegetable of your choice. You can add mushrooms to the vegetables too. In that case, Add mushrooms just before adding the milk-cornflour paste.
#2 You could add garam masala instead of pepper powder to get an Indian-ised version. You can even add imli chutney and green chutney if you prefer.