Vaangi Baath/ Spicy Brinjal Rice is a very flavorful and tasty dish. The spices blend very well with brinjal and give an out of the world taste. It is the best recipe for a weekend. As said, it is an one pot meal. You can prepare a cucumber raita or a salad as a side dish. If you are very lazy, just fry some delicacies or appalam to serve with this.
You need to prepare a dry powder/ condiment. It is more or less like the brinjal powder that we have already shared on this website. Except for adding cinnamon, clove and cardamom, the ingredients are mostly the same.
Vaangi baath/ Spicy Brinjal Rice
Prep Time 15 min
Cook Time 15 min
Brinjal- 1/2 kg ( voilet or green color)
Cooked rice 1 cup
Oil – 3 to 4 table spoons
Ghee- as per taste
Chana dal- 1 tea spoon
Urad dal- 1 tea spoon
Asafoetida ( hing) a pinch
Dry red chili 1-2 nos.
For the dry powder
Whole dry daniya- 1/4 cup
Chana dal – 5-6 table spoons
Urad dal – 5-6 table spoons
Hing – a pinch
Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tea spoon
Cinnamon sticks 1-2 inch
- In a skillet, add a tea spoon of oil & dry roast the above said dry powder ingredients in the same order. Let it rest for a while.
- Add to a blender & coarsely grind them. Keep aside.
- Cook Sona masoori or any raw rice & ensure they don’t stick to each other. Cool it down.
- Wash & Chop the brinjals in a vertical size. Ensure that the thickness is medium, or else they may get mashed up.
- In a skillet, add cooking oil . Add mustard seeds & once it splutters, add chana, urad dal, hing and curry leaves. Keep the flame in medium.
- Once they turn light golden color, add chopped brinjals. Saute for 5-10 min. Add salt to taste. Close the lid for few minutes while sauteing in between.
- Once brinjals are cooked, add the dry powder, curry leaves & some salt ( if required).
- Cool it for a while, then add the cooked rice & a dash of ghee to enrich the aroma.
- Toss it well
Serve hot with cucumber raita
#1 I have used ujala brinjal for this dish. Native brinjal variety is the best. Brinjal/ aubergine which are small are best suited for this recipe. You should not have too much of seeds. It will be bitter.
#2 If you are a vegan, you can avoid using ghee. Instead, add sesame oil. Salad or chips also go well with this dish.