As the summer has started, we want something cold to soothe ourselves. Methu vadai is a great snack, but you may have to end up drinking gallons of water. The unquenchable thirst after eating lot of oil is horrible during summer. The whole point here is to make our simple thayir vadai or dhahi vada special. Thayir vadai could be eaten as a snack or with lunch or anytime you want. It is special in our south Indian wedding.
If you want a north Indian tinge to the recipe here, just add a little bit of imli and pudina chutney instead of mustard tempering.
I am sure this would be most of our all time favorite snack.
Prep Time 5 hours (incl. soaking time)
Cook Time 20 mins
Soak the following for 4-5 hours:
Urad dal 1 1/2 cup
Raw Rice 1/2 cup
Pepper corns 1/2 tbsp
To prepare vadai
Cooking soda 1/2 tsp
asafoetida 1/2 tsp
1 onion chopped finely
Finely chopped coriander leaves
Finely chopped 4 green chili
Finely chopped 1 small piece of ginger
Oil for frying
To prepare the batter
1. Drain all the excess oil and grind the soaked ingredients to a smooth paste. You have to add very little water for grinding
2. Add the key ingredients that I have mentioned for vadai to the batter. Mix well with your hand.
Tip: To know if the batter is ready to fry – take a bowl of water and add a pinch of this mixture. If it floats then it is ready.
3. Dip your hands in water. Take the required size of the batter, make a hole in middle using your thumb. Put it gently in oil. Fry it till it turns light brown. Keep aside.
4. Then boil a cup of water. Dip each of vada for a few minutes, squeeze out water. Set aside
To prepare Curd
Thick curd 2 cups
Milk 1/4 cup
Coconut 1 tbsp
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Green chilies 2
Red chili 1-2 nos
Curry leaves a few
Urad dal 1/2 tsp
1. Ground together – Coconut, Jeera and green chilies.
2. Churn the curd with milk. Add the ground mixture
3. In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, let it splutter. Then, add red chili, curry leaves and urad dal
4. Add the above to the curd. Add salt and mix well.
5. Now put all the soaked vadas into this yummy curd. Keep in fridge for half an hour.
While serving garnish with coriander leaves, little chili powder, few fried boondhis.
Yummy thayir vada is ready!