Sodhi is a traditional Tamil Nadu variant of stew, that is prepared in Kerala. Sodhi is made with coconut milk as a base. Coconut milk is added in the end to cooked veggies. It is less on oil and goes easy on your tummy, thanks to the coconut!
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Coconut milk 1 cup (200 ml) (first and second milk)
Boiled vegetables (Chop potatoes, beans, green peas and carrots, pressure cook for one whistle)
Coconut oil 1/2 tbsp
Chopped onions 1 medium sized.
Garlic pods (crushed and chopped) 4-5 nos.
Ginger julienne 2 tsp (about 2 inches)
Cinnamon 1 inch piece
Bay leaf 1 no.
Fennel seeds 1 tsp
Hing 1/2 tsp
Green chilies 2-3 (slit)
Curry leaves a few
- Heat oil in a pan, add fennel seeds, bay leaf, curry leaves, cinnamon, green chilies and hing.
- Add garlic pods and ginger slices, saute for a minute.
- Then add the chopped onions, saute till it turns translucent
- Add the boiled veggies and mix well.
- Add salt and let it cook for a minute. Mash the potatoes to form a thick gravy,
- Add the coconut milk and heat only for 30 seconds. The coconut milk should not boil.
- Switch off the stove and check for the consistency, Add more water if required.
Serve hot with Appam