Ridge gourd/ Peerkangai kootu is much different from all the traditional kootu recipes. We add onions to this kootu. Onion gives a sweet taste to dish and I add green chillies which gives some spice. Ridge gourd is very easy to cook vegetable and this dish is very easy to prepare.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Chopped Ridge gourd 2 nos.
Chopped onions 2 nos (medium sized)
Cooked Moong dal 2 tbsp
Green chillies 2-3
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Hing/ Asafoetida 1/2 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Cooking oil 1 tbsp
Curry leaves 5-8 nos
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and let it crackle.
2. Now add hing, curry leaves and green chillies, saute it for few seconds.
3. Add the chopped onions, turmeric powder and salt. Saute it for 3 minutes
4. Now add the chopped ridge gourd and some water.
5. Close the pan with a lid, simmer the stove and leave it for 5 minutes.
6. Ridge gourd would be completely cooked after 5 minutes, if not leave it for some more time.
7. Add the cooked moong dal and leave it for a minute till it blends well with the cooked vegetable.
Serve hot with south Indian meal or Cooked rice