The main ingredient of rasam powder is the proportion of pepper and jeera. This is the only recipe, apart from milagu kuzhambu or kootu to include pepper and jeera. We add red chilies to other recipes.
My Mom’s Special Rasam Powder Recipe
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 5 mins
Dhaniya seeds 100 gms
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Toor dal 50 gms
Pepper 15 gms
Cumin seeds 15 gms
Dried curry leaves a handful
1. Heat a pan, add mustard seeds, Dhaniya seeds, Toor dal, pepper and dried curry leaves.
2. Saute it for 5 mins, until the dry ingredients are hot and crisp
3. Now turn off the stove and wait for it to come to room temperature.
4. Transfer the dry roasted ingredients to a blender jar.
5. Grind it to a coarse powder, Now add cumin seeds.
6. Grind it again. The powder would be coarse and the cumin seeds should not be fully powdered. This is very important for rasam’s flavor
7. Now transfer the powder into an airtight container.
Always make rasam in a small quantity and use it within a weeks time. The powder loses its flavor very fast.