Quick Sambar for Idli and Dosa
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Chopped Tomato 2 nos
Chopped onions 2 nos
Sambar powder 1 tsp
Besan (bengal gram flour) 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Oil 2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Hing 1/2 tsp
Slit green chilies 2-3 nos.
Curry leaves a few
Chopped coriander leaves
1. In a skillet, heat oil, add mustard seeds. Add hing, curry leaves, hing, curry leaves and green chilies.
2. Now add the chopped onions and saute for 2 mins. (add salt at this stage)
3. Then add the chopped tomatoes and saute it till the tomatoes get half cooked.
4. Now add a cup of water and sambar powder. Let it boil
5. In a cup, add water and besan and mix well like a paste. There shouldn’t be any lumps.
6. Now add this paste to the sambar. Wait for a min till the mixture thicken.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with hot idlies or dosas
#1 If you do not have sambar powder, Just add few more chilies and add 1 tsp of coriander powder. This would also taste as good as this dish.
#2 You can add 1/2 tsp of powdered jaggery if you like a little sweet taste
#3 You can add tamarind pulp, if you have any left over. This would add up the taste.