Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Ladies Finger 10 nos. (Cut into 1 inch pieces)
Toor dal 1/2 cup (1 cup = 200 ml)
Small onions (shallots) 10 nos. (Peeled)
Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
Half (medium sized) grated coconut
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Fenugreek 1/2 tsp
Red chillies 7 nos.
Curry leaves a few
Hing 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Tamarind 1 gooseberry size (soaked and strained)
Roughly chopped tomatoes 2 nos.
Oil 2 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves a handful
1. In pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds. 3 redhillies, curry leaves, 4 small onions, chopped ladies finger and salt. Saute it for 5 mins. keep it aside.
2. Cook 3/4 cup of toot daal in cooker with little salt and a drop of oil.
3. In pan, heat oil, add fenugreek, hing, 6 small onions, the remaining redchillies, some curryleaves, coriander seeds and half coconut grated. Sauteed this till the coconut becomes golden brown. Grind to smooth paste.
4. In kadai, add daal, turmeric powder, chilli powder and stir for few minutes, till it blends well.
5. Now add the tamarind syrup. Sliced tomatoes. let it cook well.
6. Add the ground paste, salt and let it cook for 5 mins.
7. Then add up the ladysfinger. Finally, add the chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot with steamed rice!