Nadan Chicken curry is one of the popular and mouth watering chicken recipes from Kerala cuisine. It is yet another flavorful dish prepared with lot of spices, seasoned in coconut oil. This recipe is easy to cook and is much different from the other chicken recipes that I have posted before. Other than marinating the chicken pieces, there is not much fuss in this dish. You can easily prepare it if you have all the ingredients in place.
Nadan chicken Curry
For the marinade
Chicken 1/2 kg
Turmerci powder 1/2 tsp
Chili powder 1 tsp
For the gravy
Coconut oil 2 tbsp
Peppercorns 1 tbso
Ginger 1 inch piece
Garlic pods 4 nos.
Fennel seeds 1 tsp
Onions thinly sliced 3-4 nos.
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Chili powder 2 tsp
Kashmiri chili powder 1 tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Tomatoes finely chopped 2 nos.
Chicken masala 1 tsp
Curry leaves a handful
- Clean and marinate chicken pieces with little turmeric,salt and chili powder for 1 hour.
- Grind to smooth paste – peppercorns, ginger, garlic and fennel seeds.
- In a kadai, heat coconut oil, add curry leaves. Then add the ground paste. Saute till the raw smell goes off.
- Then add the onions and some salt. Saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder, kashmiri chili powder, garam masala and then the chopped tomatoes.
- Saute for 3-4 mins, until the tomatoes get cooked.
- Add the chicken pieces. Mix well and add required salt. Let the gravy coat the chicken well.
- Add 1 cup water or less depending upon your required consistency.
- Add chicken masala. Mix well. Cook it for 5 mins.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with cooked rice or roti