Maanga paruppu or Raw mango dal curry is a simple curry for lunch. It is very common in Tamil cuisine especially in mango season. This makes me nostalgic. As many other recipes make me so. This brings back my ever cherished memory of eating raw malgova mangoes. We had a big malgova mango tree in our home. We would wait eagerly for it’s super sweet-sour tasty raw mangoes. I still remember how we used to suffer from heat boils after eating a lot of raw mangoes!
This is ideal for time when you quickly want to get rid of the kitchen chores. It takes only 20 mins. This is the best dish for you if your house is loaded with raw mangoes and you absolutely have no clue as to what to do with it!
My other Raw mango recipe – Maanga pachchadi (I bet, you could prepare this every other day!)
Maanga Paruppu/ Raw Mango Dal Curry
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Chopped Raw mango 1 no. (chop it as thin slices, discard the seed)
Cooked toor dal 1/2 cup (100 ml cooked)
Oil 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Hing 1/2 tsp
Green Chilies 3-4 nos. (slit)
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves a few
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- In a kadai, heat oil, add mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Add hing, green chilies and curry leaves.
- Add the Chopped raw mango and turmeric powder. Saute it for 2 mins. Until it gets soft. Add salt and little water. Close it with a lid for 5 mins
- Add the cooked dal, let it boil well with the lid on. It takes almost 3-4 mins
- Add more water to your preferred consistency.
- Garnish with coriander leaves
Serve hot with cooked rice and Ghee