Kuzhi paniyaram is a tasty south indian dish, for preparing this, we grind a separate batter. I have seen lot of my friends using the same idly/ dosa batter for making kuzhi paniyarams. That may seem easy, but the taste is not that great. The idly/ dosa batter will have a strong fermented flavour as compared to the batter that we ground for kuzhi paniyaram.
Before preparing this, you need to have a special pan for frying kuzhi paniyarms. A lot of kuzhi paniyaram pans are available in market these days. We get Teflon coated ones which are very easy to use and consume less oil. But I strongly prefer using iron/ brass ones. This gives a unique taste, texture and even from health perspective, I feel using iron/ brass pan to be safe.
Kuzhi paniyaram Batter
Grinding time: 15-20 mins
Soaking time: 2 hours
Time taken for fermentation: 6-8 hours
1 cup = 250ml
Raw rice 1 cup
Idly rice 1 cup
Urad dhal 1 tbsp
Fenugreek 1 tbsp
Water 2-3 cups
1. Soak the above ingredients except salt for 2 hours.
2. Run the grinder and start adding the soaked ingredients and water. Be careful as the grinder may get stuck if you add too much of rice alone. So, add little water and then some rice, repeat this until you add all the soaked ingredients.
3. After 5 mins add salt.
4. Run the grinder for 10-15 mins, till the rice is 90% ground. It shouldn’t be too coarse or very smooth.
5. The batter should not be as thick as idly batter. It would be in dosa batter consistency. If you feel your batter to be very thick, add some water and get it to dosa batter consistency.
6. Scoop out the batter from the grinder and store it in a container which has enough space for the batter to raise during fermentation.
7. Leave the batter in room temperature for 6-8 hours. The batter should not get over fermented. So, refrigerate the batter and take it only when you are preparing kuzhi paniyarams.
For preparing kuzhi paniyarams
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Onion (medium sized) 2-3
Carrot, finely chopped 1
Ginger, finely chopped 1 inch
Green chillies, finely chopped 2-3
Curry leaves, finely chopped, one handful, 10-12 leaves
Coriander leaves, finely chopped, tbsp
Cooking oil, for sautéing the above ingredients
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Hing ½ tsp
Urad dhal 1 tsp
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and wait for it crackles.
2. Add hing and urad dhal and wait till the urad dhal turns light brown.
3. Now add curry leaves, green chillies and ginger, saute it for a minute.
4. Now add the chopped onions and add some salt as it helps onion to get cooked fast.
5. Saute onions for a minute and then add the chopped carrots
6. Saute till the carrots are almost cooked, then add the chopped coriander leaves.
7. Now mix the sautéed ingredients to the fermented kuzhi paniyaram batter and mix well.
For shallow frying kuzhi paniyarams
Cooking oil 3-4 tbsps (approximately)
Ghee 2 tbsps
Mix the cooking oil and ghee and keep aside.
(You can even fry it without ghee)
1. Heat the kuzhi paniyaram pan and add 1/4 tsp oil/ghee mixture in all the holes
2. Now carefully pour 1 ½ tbsp. of batter in each hole.
3. Close the pan with a lid and Cook it it medium flame.
4. This may take 2 mins, if you are using iron/ brass pan. If you are using a Teflon pan, the cooking time may be less and it should consume very little oil too.
5. Open the lid and see if the top portion is at least half cooked.
6. Turn the kuzhi paniyarams carefully with a wooden chopstick/ steel stick, if u don’t have any of these you can turn a steel spoon and use it.
7. Don’t be stingy in adding oil to the first batch and don’t cook it in high flame as the batter may get stuck to he pan or it may not get cooked properly.
8. The kuzhi paniyarams would be light brown in colour on all the sides.
9. At this stage poke it gently using the stick and take it out.
1. You can try the same recipe in left over idly/ dosa batter. The taste will not be that great and its not a bad idea either.
2. If you are too lazy, just add raw ingredients to the fermented batter. Raw ingredients in the sense, chopped onions, green chillies, ginger,grated carrot curry leaves and coriander leaves only. This would be like uttapam.Serve hot with Tomato chutney and Sambar