Kalavai kootu is a vegetable curry prepared by using lot of vegetables just like Aviyal. This has a mix of fresh ground spices, coconut and is a lot tangy as we add a lot of tamarind syrup just like we do for puli kootu. This is an important recipe on the day of Pongal for many and on the next day of Pongal called Kanu (by Tambrahms) for a few. This is prepared mainly to celebrate the freshly harvested country vegetables.
You can add any vegetable of your choice in this kootu. However, we prefer adding all country veggies like brinjal, raw banana, broad beans, cluster beans, potatoes, raw mochai payiru, butter beans or peas and we also add beans and carrots.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 15 mins
Broad beans 5 Nos.
Raw banana 1 no.
Beans 5 nos
Carrot 2 no
Brinjal 2-3 nos
Sweet potato 1
Ash gourd 250 gm
Raw mochai payiru 100 gm
Turmeric powder 1 tsp
Tamarind 1 gooseberry sized (soak in warm water and extract the pulp)
(you can use any combo of vegetables of your choice)
Bengal gram 1 tbsp
Daniya (coriander seeds) 1 tbsp
Red chili 5-7 nos (depends on how spicy you want)
Dry/fresh curry leaves a few
Grated coconut 1 cup (half coconut)
Oil/ ghee 2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Fresh curry leaves a few
Hing 1/2 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves
1. Chop all the vegetables into 1 inch long slices. In a cooker, steam it for 10 mins. (Add required water and salt. Close the cooker and cook in medium flame without putting the weight)
2. In a skillet, add 1/2 tsp oil, add bengal gram, coriander seeds, red chili and curry leaves. Roast it till the dal turns golden brown.
3. Transfer it to a blender jar, add coconut and blend it to a smooth paste.
4. Once the veggies are cooked, add the tamarind pulp and turmeric powder to it. Let it boil for a few mins.
5. Now, add the ground paste and cook till the raw smell goes off. Check for salt and add according to your taste preference.
6. Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, hing and fresh curry leaves. Put this into the curry.
7. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with Tamarind Rice, Lemon rice or coconut rice. Or just eat with cooked rice!