- by Aparna,
Gummadikaya Dappalam or Sweet Sour Pumpkin Stew is very interesting recipe from Andhra cuisine. We add red chili, jaggery and tamarind so, the dish is sweet, sour as well as spicy. This makes the Pumpkin Stew really exclusive in our meal plate. It is typically prepared during the harvest season when we get ripe pumpkins.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
- Heat a pan, dry roast all the condiments. Pound them in a blender to a fine powder and keep it aside.
- In the same pan heat oil, add hing/asafoetida, mustard seeds and jeera and let it splutter.
- Now add red chilies, crushed ginger and curry leaves. Saute it for a few seconds.
- Now add pumpkin pieces and saute for couple of mins. (Roughly about 2 mins) and then add the ground powder.
- Mix well, the powder should nicely coat the pumpkin pieces. Close it with a lid for 5 mins.
- After 5 mins add tamarind pulp, salt and some water to adjust the consistency. It should be as thick as a soup.
- Let the pumpkin cook and soften a little. Then add jaggery and let it cook completely.