Bottle gourd aviyal kootu is one of the simplest dishes that you can cook with bottle gourd or sorrakai. Coconut oil and curry leaves give a wonderful flavour and taste to this dish.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Finely chopped bottle gourd 1 no. (Medium sized)
Moong dal 2 tbsp
Grated coconut 3 tbsp
Green chillies 3-4 nos.
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut oil 2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Hing/ Asafoetida 1 pinch
Fresh curry leaves 8-10 nos.
1. Pressure cook chopped bottle gourd and dal for 5 whistles and keep it aside.
2. In a blender jar, add grated coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds. Grind it to a smooth paste.
3. When the cooker is ready to open, transfer the boiled ingredients to a cooking pan and add the ground ingredients. Also add salt.
4. Stir it for 3-4 minutes.
5. In a pan, heat coconut oil and add mustard seeds.
6. Wait till the mustard seeds crackles and now rip the curry leaves with your finger and add it to the oil.
7. Turn off the stove and add hing.
8. Now add the tempering to the kootu.
Serve hot with cooked rice and add some ghee.