Ash gourd or Pushanikkai is a tasty vegetable, which tastes good in pulivitta (Tamarind) kootu, sambar or more kuzhambu. It also tastes very good with curd. This recipe is simple and easy. It just needs curd, chopped ash gourd and of course the tempering. It tastes awesome and compliments well with mostly all type of Thogayals (chutneys).
This recipe along with any thogayal hardly takes about 20 minutes. So, when you want to quickly finish your kitchen chores. This recipe will be very handy.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Ash Gourd 1 cup (1 cup = 100 ml) (grated or finely chopped)
Curd 1/2 cup
Oil 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Hing 1/2 tsp
Jeera 1/2 tsp
Red Chilies 1 (ripped with hand)
Curry leaves a few
Coriander leaves for garnish
- Finely chop or grate the ash gourd, pressure cook it for one whistle. Do not add lot of water. The best idea is to place the chopped/ grated ash gourd in a small vessel and then place it inside the pressure cooker. So you can add very little water (about 1/4 cup).
- Once it is cooked, let it come to room temperature.
- Then, add the curd and salt. Mix well
- In a skillet, heat oil, add mustard seeds, jeera, hing, red chili and curry leaves (rip it with your hand before adding)
- Put this to the ash gourd and curd mixture. Garnish with coriander
Serve with Steamed rice and any thogayal of your choice.
The same Recipe has another version. This version has a ground mixture that needs to be added along with the curd.
Key Ingredients for the mixuture
Urad dal 1 tsp
Coconut grated or chopped 1 1/2 tbsp
- In a skillet, heat 1/2 tsp oil, roast urad dal until it turns light brown.
- In a blender jar, blend the roasted urad dal and coconut. Add this ground mixture to the thayir pachadi as prepared above.
By adding this mixture you get more volume. However, I prefer the plain one, as the taste of ash gourd soaked in curd gives an excellent taste.