Tangy Tomato Pickle is the easiest pickle recipe from Andhra cuisine. It is a versatile dish. It is best served with rice and ghee/til oil. It goes well with dosa or roti as well. I have even tried it with bread at times when I don’t have patience to cook. This may take sometime to cook but, it is really worth the effort. It can save your time for a whole week.
The ripe country tomatoes are the best preferred ones for this dish. In this pickle the cooked tomatoes blend well with red chilies, methi powder, little tamarind syrup and sugar. It becomes divine when we add the til oil tempering with crushed garlic.
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Finely chopped Ripe country tomatoes 1/2 kg
Garlic 1 bulb (Roughly Crushed)
Tamarind 1 small gooseberry size (soaked and pulp extracted)
Til oil 200 ml
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Fenugreek Powder 1 pinch
Hing 1/2 tsp
Sugar 1/2 tsp
Red chili powder to taste
Curry leaves a few
Red chilies 3-4 nos. (optional)
- Cook the chopped tomatoes with salt, sugar, fenugreek powder and tamarind syrup.
- Cook till the water in tomatoes completely evaporates.
- In a skillet, heat til oil, add mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Add curry leaves, hing, crushed garlic and red chilies. Saute it for a minute
- Add the cooked tomato. Mix well and let it cook for some time.
- Cook the tomatoes well in oil. When the oil starts leaving the tomatoes, switch off the stove.
Serve with cooked hot rice and ghee/ til oil
- If the tomatoes are not ripe, you can grind the tomatoes before cooking it.
- Store it in a glass or ceramic container and consume within one week. Refrigerate it, if you have to use for longer period.
Did you find this recipe interesting? What is your favourite pickle?
Rate this recipe